Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Funded Students

I have written about the issues of self-funding and responded strongly to criticism of self-funders, such as the Times Higher Education Supplement which you can read here.

There is no denying that I am biased in wanting to advocate for self-funders and partial-funders because of my own PhD story, but going through the Honest PhD survey responses it was pointed out that one question was biased towards self-funders:
"As a self-funded student, did you ever receive negative comments based on your lack of funding?"
I guess that I posed that question because I felt that I certainly had, but in a way subliminally from a range of different sources: other students who were funded; academics; non-academics; etc. (although none of it was overt!).

One survey response noted that "funded students get negative comments based on funding". I will hold my hands up and be the first to admit that this notion had not crossed my mind. Is it to do with the funding source, and some perceived to be "better" than others? Or "jealousy" from non-funded students? Or something else?

I am genuinely intrigued and want to ensure that I don't miss any nuance when I come to write the section on funding for the Honest PhD Guide!

Please leave comments below, tweet me @FionaEWhelan or email me directly at whelanfi@gmail.com.
I appreciate any and all insight into this question!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments below. Comments are moderated for spam and offensive language.